Stranded On Krydon Official Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum for the popular Starcraft 2 map, Stranded On Krydon

4 posters

Photon cannons a little too good?

combatjoe

Photon cannons a little too good? Empty Photon cannons a little too good?

Post  combatjoe Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Right now they do 150 damage every 2 seconds. They can't be salvaged or repaired by mules/scv. They cost 150 minerals, no gas, no supply.

I think they are too good for the cost. They have massive stopping power, able to 4 shot ultralisks and 1 shotting most other zerg units.

Two simple changes that come to mind
    - Give them a high supply cost. They are at least as good as a bertha in my opinion.
    - You could drop their damage by 25 to 50 points and they would still have great stopping power for their current cost.

Just my 2 cents.
    Nagnazul
    Nagnazul
    Admin

Photon cannons a little too good? Empty Re: Photon cannons a little too good?

Post  Nagnazul Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 pm

I pretty much knowingly made every Protoss unit overpowered. My goal for Protoss tech was that it had to feel invulnerable. Getting Protoss tech is a pretty big undertaking, so it should have a large payoff.

Getting a Photon Cannon has a pretty massive up front cost - you need to find the obelisk, kill the obelisk (which will take up some resources and some time) then build a pylon, then a forge, and finally you can get the cannon.

They're also less-than good against small targets, since a cannon killing 1 zergling per shot amounts to doing 18 dps - less than a mini-gun turret.

I may have gone a bit overboard on how strong cannons are, but I'd prefer to have overpowered cannons rather than disappointing cannons.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Starke
    Starke

Post  Starke Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm

I was about to start a thread on this exact topic! santa

To be honest, I often win without even a Probe, but other players get them and the cannons are certainly wayyyyy good. I think they were intended to be really good, even somewhat OP, as a reward for getting a Probe. But now many players view getting a Probe and cannons as a requirement to win. I would like to see Nagnazul's thinking on its role in the game.
    Nosuke

Post  Nosuke Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:35 am

Brood lords can still swarm down cannons easily Smile
    Starke
    Starke

Post  Starke Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:38 pm

In all my games, we have either won or lost before Brood Lords show up. Berthas are the only real defense against them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:09 pm