Stranded On Krydon Official Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum for the popular Starcraft 2 map, Stranded On Krydon

3 posters

Randomized Terrain "blocks" for randomized gaming.

dra6o0n
    dra6o0n

Randomized Terrain "blocks" for randomized gaming. Empty Randomized Terrain "blocks" for randomized gaming.

Post  dra6o0n Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Think of it this way, what if you can make a large variety of "building blocks" shapes in different placements, and has it's own set of region attached to it when it's used.

Then, when the map gets generated, said blocks will be created "around" the players, resulting in massively different levels each time.

Maybe cut the map into 8 chunks, like a 3x3 grid, except the player's starting area is 1 chunk in the middle.
    On map start, the map randomly chooses a chunk to drop onto the map, and it has to look viable so maybe specific pieces can only be used in a spot.
    ---

Can you also make the map look more like a colony? If you take a look at the NOTD map, they make use of the fences, bases, and terrains well.

EDIT: Well the idea might be a bit too might of a project for anyone to take on... Maybe this can be a test for mappers to see if they can make "randomly generated terrains (not just doodads)".
    Starke
    Starke

Randomized Terrain "blocks" for randomized gaming. Empty Re: Randomized Terrain "blocks" for randomized gaming.

Post  Starke Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:08 am

I thought about this sort of idea awhile back. The problem is, I don't know if terrain can be generated randomly. If it can, I think the results will be "too" random, with protrusions and odd pieces all over the place. And if it can't be, then you would need to use preset blocks that can be placed placed in a grid, like you said. But then the variation would be limited to the same exact patterns in different places. And with both methods the areas where the blocks meet would be messy.

And this would make the game even more unbalanced than it is. Some people think that the game is already too varied. I like the current state and think it is plenty balanced while still being different each time, but some people are calling for the exact opposite of this idea, as discussed in this thread.
    Nagnazul
    Nagnazul
    Admin

Randomized Terrain "blocks" for randomized gaming. Empty Re: Randomized Terrain "blocks" for randomized gaming.

Post  Nagnazul Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:50 pm

As of right now, the Starcraft 2 editor doesn't allow for on-the-fly terrain modification. When the map starts up, the actual terrain - cliffs, ramps and the like - are set in stone.

I do have plans to make terrain generation more interesting with things like dynamic doodads and dynamically closed/opened areas, but those are pretty low priority.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:03 pm