Stranded On Krydon Official Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forum for the popular Starcraft 2 map, Stranded On Krydon

4 posters

Website Question: What's a bot?

Starke
    Starke

Website Question: What's a bot? Empty Website Question: What's a bot?

Post  Starke Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:04 am

I am looking at the "Users Online" section and I noticed something odd. Normally it lists the number of registered users, hidden users, and guests on the forums. Now, it says:

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot
    Registered Users: Starke
    Bots : Google

What's a bot, and why is it here?

I unilaterally declare that it is the end of reality as we know it!!! Wink

youtube.com/watch?v=KaIl43v0ooM&feature=sub
    Nagnazul
    Nagnazul
    Admin

Website Question: What's a bot? Empty Re: Website Question: What's a bot?

Post  Nagnazul Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:59 am

Starke wrote:I am looking at the "Users Online" section and I noticed something odd. Normally it lists the number of registered users, hidden users, and guests on the forums. Now, it says:

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

That's google gathering info on the website to make us more visible in google searches.
    Starke
    Starke

Post  Starke Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 am

That's good news, at first I couldn't find the forums, so I posted on the dev blog. You remember?

And, um, you are in a game right now. I was in the lobby with you and 2 other vets. It game started, and I was dropped. The other two are giving me a play-by-play right now. Very Happy lol!
    Brodyaga

Post  Brodyaga Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:40 am

Starke wrote:I am looking at the "Users Online" section and I noticed something odd. Normally it lists the number of registered users, hidden users, and guests on the forums. Now, it says:

I also saw that bot yesterday. As long as I watched it, bot did not go any further than the first page. So I would consider to use more representing our content frases on the first page in order to atract more people (well, I am not professional, this is just an opinion.)

For example, my first search for the relevant information in Google was: stranded on Crydon tactiks.

Would be good to put a few most possible complete search frases on a first page, it would lead people directly to this site after next visit of a Google bot.
    dra6o0n
    dra6o0n

Post  dra6o0n Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 am

You should realize that underhanded methods used to make your site findable is kind of "foul" play on the internet, but many sites already does it because in reality, no one really plays by the rules.

Typically, you'd want to promote your blog, to be the important page, and add a forum link from there.

Besides, the forum doesn't look "that" well designed (there's a few hijinks here and there), and it's not so likely that it'll get popular outside of SC2 Maps.

SC2 shows the map 5 pages down though, popularity dropped significantly if you take a week or two off without updates.

Invisionfree has a better interface for forums, but that's typically based from my experience.
    Brodyaga

Post  Brodyaga Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:54 am

dra6o0n wrote:You should realize that underhanded methods used to make your site findable is kind of "foul" play on the internet

Usually it is considered not to be polite to say "You are wrong" instead of "I have a different opinion", but this is exactly the case when I need to answer:

-Sir, you are completely wrong and you misrepresent my idea!

I am talking not about cheap and useless "popularity" in general, but about help to those people, who are looking for information on this mini-game to find us easyer through Google Search. Therefore, on the index page we need to put a few more finished frases that represent the content of the forum.
    Brodyaga

Post  Brodyaga Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Brodyaga wrote: Would be good to put a few most possible complete search frases on a first page, it would lead people directly to this site after next visit of a Google bot.

For example, instead of just "Strategy" on the main page I would put "Stranded on Krydon Strategy" or "Stranded on Krydon Tacticks"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:21 pm